Every year in the UK some 30 people are killed and many others are affected by carbon monoxide poisoning from faulty gas installations such as fires and boilers in their homes.
Carbon monoxide is a particularly dangerous gas because you cannot smell it. The symptoms of poisoning are tiredness, drowsiness, headaches and pains in the chest and stomach.
People suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning often fall asleep not knowing why they feel tired. Faulty gas appliances in bedrooms are particularly dangerous because a sleeping person does not raise suspicion in others. It is essential therefore to have all gas appliances checked annually.
Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998
Landlords are legally required to ensure that any gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for their tenants use are safe. In particular landlords must:
- Have their gas appliances checked annually by a Gas Safe Register engineer who will issue a "Landlord Gas Safety Certificate." (CP12)
- Keep records of the checks for at least 2 years
- Issue a copy of the CP12 certificate to their tenants.
These regulations also apply to owner-occupiers who must:
- Only allow work to be carried out on their gas appliances by a Gas Safe Registered engineer
- Not use a gas appliance if they suspect it to be unsafe.
In all cases if you suspect that a gas appliance is unsafe you should immediately contact National Grid on 0800 111 999.
If you smell gas or are worried about gas safety, you can call 0800 111 999 at any time, day or night. Your call will not cost you anything.
- Never use a gas appliance if you think it is not working properly
- Poor combustion is characterised by a yellow or orange flame, soot or stains around the appliance and a pilot light that keeps going out.
- Never cover an appliance or block air vents or outside flues
- Never fit draught excluders or double-glazing to rooms containing a gas appliance without providing suitable alternative ventilation.
For more information on gas safety you can contact the Health and Safety Executive.
Do you have a valid CP12 – have your gas appliances been serviced in the last 12 months?
If your gas appliances have not been serviced in the last 12 months or if you are unsure please contact our Customer Services Centre on 0800 073 0417 who will be happy to advise and book a Gas Service if needed.