At a meeting on 26 October 2010 the London Borough of Merton, local Police and local landlords, including Merton Priory Homes, fed back to residents on the work that had been undertaken by the partners in response to residents’ concerns about safety on the Phipps Bridge and Cherry Trees estates.
MPH reported back on the work we have completed which includes:
• Improved lighting on Phipps Bridge, Cherry Tree and Harland estates by installing additional lighting in Belgrave Walk, reinstating any faulty lighting across the estates and introducing systems for regular inspections and follow up maintenance.
• Improving the caretakers and cleaner cover for the estates and improving some long standing issues such as deep cleaning bin stores and introducing improvements such as two recycling centres.
• Pruning trees and trimming hedges to enhance visibility and safety.
• Graffiti removal.
• More activities for local young people.
• Enhanced profile for estate staff including estate services officers, neighbourhood wardens, caretakers and cleaners.
The partners are also identifying the costs of adding lighting and a climbing wall to the Skate Park and exploring whether funding is available to complete this work. You can see the full list of improvements and proposals in this attachment (28 KB).
The partners responded to concerns about safety which were expressed at a public meeting in June, after three residents of Wandle Housing Association living on Phipps Bridge were stabbed in a single incident on the estate. All the main agencies were present at that meeting to answer questions and hear residents’ concerns, and have been working together since to address the issues raised.
The next steps are to consult with residents across the estate about proposals for additional lighting and CCTV cameras.
If you would like more information about the safety enhancements taking place at Phipps Bridge, you should contact your Estate Services Officer in the first instance.
Benefit changes are coming in April 2013
Are you aware what benefits you are entitled to?
Click house exchange website for details of how you can join the scheme and exchange your home.