Carbon monoxide is a particularly dangerous gas because you cannot smell it. The symptoms of poisoning are tiredness, drowsiness, headaches and pains in the chest and stomach.
People suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning often fall asleep not knowing why they feel tired. Faulty gas appliances in bedrooms are particularly dangerous because a sleeping person does not raise suspicion in others.
It is essential therefore to have all gas appliances checked annually and the installation of a carbon monoxide detector (similar in size and appearance to that of a smoke detector) is recommended. If you do not have one fitted in your home please contact our Customer Services Centre on 0800 111 6447 (if calling from a landline) or 0300 333 6557 (if calling from a mobile), and they will arrange for one to be fitted.
Landlords are legally required to ensure that any gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for their tenants use are safe. In particular landlords must:
These regulations also apply to owner-occupiers who must:
In all cases if you suspect that a gas appliance is unsafe you should immediately contact National Grid on 0800 111 999
For more information on gas safety you can contact the Health and Safety Executive.
If your gas appliances have not been serviced in the last 12 months or if you are unsure please contact our Customer Services Centre on 0800 111 6447 (if calling from a landline) or 0300 333 6557 (if calling from a mobile), who will be happy to advise and book a Gas Service if needed.
Benefit changes are coming in April 2013
Take a look at our energy saving videos. Lower your bills and help save the environment.