Claiming housing benefit
Although there are changes to the way benefits are calculated happening in April 2013, you still may be entitled to claim benefits before or after this date.
Welfare reform calculator
Reforms are coming in 2013, to the way welfare benefits are calculated, capped and distributed. If you are concerned that these will affect you, or would just like to know what you may be entitled to, please use our welfare reform calculator below.
Open the Welfare reform calculator >>
Find out more about important changes to welfare and benefits in 2013 >>
How To Claim Housing Benefit
Below are some pointers on claiming housing benefit.
- You can submit your claim up to 13 weeks before you become entitled to Housing Benefit, but you will not normally receive any money before you move in.
- Contact your social security office for a claim form – look for the Benefits Agency advert in the business numbers section of the phone book.
- If you claim Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance you’ll find the Housing Benefit forms in your claim pack. Complete and return the forms with your Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance claim form.
- If you don’t claim Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance you can get Housing Benefit forms from your local council. You’ll find the address in the business numbers section of the phone book.
- If you require further information about claiming housing benefit, please contact your income officer . The Housing Benefit office will want to confirm your identity when you make a claim. They may need to ask you about your background and look at any official documents you have to support your claim. Please note that you will be expected to provide original documents, not photocopies.
- Progressing your claim is your responsibility, but our staff can provide advice if you are having problems. You must call us if a problem with your claim could result in you falling into rent arrears.
Contact your local council for more information
Once you have qualified for housing benefit you will be able to set up online access by clicking on the relevant link below:
Free online debt advice
If you’re struggling with your debts please don’t go to a fee-charging debt company. StepChange Debt Charity are the UK’s leading debt management organisation. They have over 20 years’ experience providing free, impartial debt advice and debt solutions to anyone in financial distress.
For anonymous advice now, try their online debt help tool - StepChange Debt Remedy. Debt Remedy will ask you some questions about your situation and recommend a debt solution tailored to your needs.
Find out about StepChange debt management >>
Or use the StepChange online debt remedy tool >>
Did you find what you were looking for? Please click here to give us your feedback.