Mutual Exchange

What is a mutual exchange?

When two or more tenants swap their homes it is called a mutual exchange. If you have a secure, assured or fixed term tenancy with us at Circle Housing, you can apply for a mutual exchange.

You can usually swap with:

  • another Circle tenant
  • a tenant of another housing association
  • a tenant of a local authority.

You do not have to swap like for like, so you can find a larger or smaller home that suits your needs. You can swap with someone in your local area or anywhere else in the country.

If you are interested in exchanging your home, please get in touch with us so we may explain what is involved. We will also discuss with you what type of tenancy you would take on and the amount of rent you would be charged as these may be different from those of the person you are exchanging with. We will do our best to advise you and help you move to a new home.